The Energy and Power ministers of Ghana and Nigeria will head up a top line-up of senior government representatives from leading West African economies that will converge on Accra soon to pool ideas and make recommendations on the region’s power and infrastructure development potential. Leading business and utility sector leaders from Ghana, Nigeria, Mali, Benin and Togo will also join in the discussions on the investment opportunities in the region at the Infrastructure Partnerships for African Development (iPAD) West Africa that takes place from 2-3 December 2009. Also taking place alongside this conference and exhibition is the West African Power Industry Convention (WAPIC).
Highlights and top speakers at iPAD West Africa:
- Opening address: Powering Ghana in the oil era
Hon. Dr Joe Oteng-Adjei, Minister, Ministry of Energy, Ghana
- Keynote address: Defining Nigeria’s new power sector
Hon. Dr. Lanre Babalola, Minister, Ministry of Power, Nigeria
- Business leaders plenary panel: Driving West African regional growth through the development of industrial infrastructure
Moderator: Dr Temitope W. Oshikoya, Director General, West African Monetary Institute (WAMI), Ghana
- Think tank: Cost reflective tariffs to sustain the power industry and the impact on industrial investment
- Sustainability and the West African energy mix: Focus on the vast solar potential of the region, emmissions reductions from gas and oil as well as off-grid projects to power rural areas.
- Update on legal and regulatory frameworks for the Ghanaian mining sector
Benjamin N.A. Aryee, Chief Executive Officer, Minerals Commission, Ghana
- Think-tank: Private sector perspectives: How can stakeholders work together to ensure energy needs of the mining sector are met.
- Closing session think-tank: private sector and financiers’ perspectives on the way forward for project implementation and sustainable development
High-level regional institutions and development agencies represented at iPAD West Africa and Wapic include the West African Power Pool (WAPP), USAID, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Ghana, the West African Monetary Institute (WAMI), Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft (DEG), World Bank and the African Development Bank.
Top investors in the region as well as companies exploring investment opportunities taking part in the conference and exhibition are Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), Aluworks, Engen, SERGI France, El Sewedy, Redpath and many more.
For more information on the event and to download the programme go to the event website: www.ipad-africa.com/west
For more information please contact:
Conference producer: Nicole Smith
Phone: +27 21 700 3500 / 888 559 8017 (US) / EXT: 3522
Mobile: +27 (0) 83 372 0336
Fax: +27 21 700 3501 / 413 487 6276 (US)
For media enquiries, accreditation and speaker interviews contact:
Marketing and PR manager: Annemarie Roodbol
Phone: +27 (0) 21 700-3500 EXT: 3558
Mobile: +27 (0) 82 562 7844
More events by Spintelligent: www.spintelligent-events.com
La Palm Royal Beach Hotel
Adjacent the Ghana International Trade Fair complex
No 1 Bypass, Osu