HomeIndustry SectorsGenerationTemporary power set up in Yemen

Temporary power set up in Yemen

8 October 2013 – Altaaqa Global has installed a 54 MW temporary power plant in Aden, Yemen. This power station can provide electricity to 150,000 customers in Yemen. “With this new power plant, 95% of the workforce is local Yemeni engineers and the remaining 5% are from Altaaqa Global Caterpillar.” According to Steven Meyrick, managing director of Altaaqa Global, “We have also invested a significant amount of resources to train the Yemeni workforce to ensure that our operation is still on its optimum level. In the end, we have passed on our technical know-how to the local workforce while maintaining our operational standards and processes. We will surely replicate the same process of hiring local people in other countries that we are planning to pursue in the future.”

According to Peter den Boogert, GM of business development of Altaaqa Global, “Even during summer when it can reach up to 38ºC, and during Ramadan when we can only work for a short period of time, we were able to complete the power project on schedule due to our strong operational and streamlined business processes.”

On top of the swift installation and commissioning, Billy Wharton, director of operations of Altaaqa Global, says, “Our project in Aden is the most advanced in the power industry. We are the only company in the Middle East which utilised an integrated control protection system that can switch from grid to island to grid in just minutes. This is also the most advanced Caterpillar electric power protection system in the world. Our control system provided the most flexible power solution to support base load, intermediate, peaking or standby power generation. Whether it’s an island mode/stand alone or grid, or a combination of all operational modes, we can meet the mode requirements at a push of a button.”