29 April 2010 – Nigeria’s government has created a new committee to focus on the development of small and medium capacity hydro power projects in the country
According to local media reports, the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Small and Medium Scale Hydroelectric Power Development has been charged with mapping out clear strategies to harness the potential of projects already identified throughout the country.
The committee’s role will be to:
- Identify and select existing dams with the potential for hydroelectric power generation.
- Collate and review all available reports, design and contract documents on the hydroelectric power components of the dams.
- Establish the scope of assignment for various project sites.
- Facilitate the complete handover of power components of the dams to the federal ministry of power.
- Identify any carbon credit opportunities.
- Identify and coordinate funding sources.
- Develop a project monitoring mechanism to facilitate development of the projects.
Members of the committee have been selected from the Federal Ministries of Power, Water Resources and the Environment, as well as the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), according to recent media reports.