The Nigerian energy sector has welcomed 138 companies on board who will act as Metering Service Providers within the sector, StarAfrica reported.
They went under careful inspection before they were certified, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) said.
Star Africa reported that on Tuesday local media gave a breakdown of the various functions which each company will perform:
- 5 were certified to manufacture meters
- 13 were certified to import meters into the country, approval given by Government
- 28 were certified to operate as meter
- 13 were approved to carry out installation of the meters
- 79 were certified as corporate installers
The certified manufacturing companies include Elsewedy Electric Nigeria Limited, Momas Electricity Meters Manufacturing Company Limited (MEMMCOL), Uni Star Hitech Nigeria Limited, Electricity Meter Company Nigeria Limited (EMCON) and Mojec International, StarAfrica said.
Energy users who made payment months ago for undelivered meters should be receiving them within the next two weeks, StarAfrica reported.
This promise has been enforced by NERC who have given electricity distribution companies a two week timeline to fulfil this promise, failure to comply will result in serious consequences, Dr Sam Amadi, Chairman of NERC said.