Tender deadline: 18 January, 2016, 17:00
In East Africa, Uganda’s ministry of energy and mineral development, has issued a notice for interested consultancy services to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to conduct an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) of the impact of the Isimba Hydropower Project on the Kalagala offset area.
The Government of Uganda is undertaking the development of the Isimba Hydropower Project, situated 40 kilometers downstream of the Bujagali Hydropower Project.
A Kalagala Offset Area (KOA) was set aside as part of the development of the Bujagali Hydropower Project. As part of project preparation, the GoU prepared an ESIA for the Isimba Hydropower Project., which it now wishes to complement with an additional Environmental and Social Impact Assessment focused on the impacts of the Isimba Hydropower Project on the KOA.
Interested consultancies are required to prepare:
(i) A KOA ESIA that comprehensively addresses the expected environmental and social impacts of the Isimiba Hydropower Project on the KOA and corresponding mitigation measures; and
(ii) A Long-term Conservation Options (LTCO) Report that would identify options for ensuring a firm legal status and sustainable funding for the KOA.
The KOA ESIA should be done in accordance with the World Bank safeguards policies.
Both the KOA ESIA and the LTCO report should provide a solid information base for the GoU to engage with the World Bank in finding a mutually acceptable solution that would make the Isimba Hydropower Project consistent with the spirit and intent of the Indemnity Agreement for the Bujagali Hydropower Project of 2007.
The shortlisting criteria include:
- Specific experience of successfully completing environmental and social impact assessments for at least three similar infrastructure projects in the last 10 years.
- Specific experience of successfully completing at least one environmental and social impact assessments following World Bank safeguards policies in the last five years,
- Freshwater aquatic ecology, including experience with the freshwater ecosystems of tropical Africa;
- Environmental and natural resource management;
- Environmental and power system economics, including experience in working with the tourism;
- Legal environmental analysis, including experience with protected areas;
- Social science
- Hydropower engineering
Submitting tender information
Consultants may submit as a joint venture or a sub-consultancy to enhance their qualifications. The Expression of Interest shall specify the nature of association i.e. whether joint venture or sub-consultancy and shall indicate the lead firm.
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours (0900hours to 1700hours).
Expressions of interest (one original plus five copies) must be delivered in a written form to the address below by January 18, 2016.
The envelopes must be clearly marked: Expression of Interest for consultancy services for Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) of the Impact of the Isimba Hydropower Project on the Kalagala Offset Area Proc. Ref No. MEMD/CONS/2015-2016/00348/ERTIII
Address: Head, Procurement and Disposal Unit
Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development
Amber House, Plot 29/33 Kampala Road
1st Floor Room C109-Kampala- Uganda
Subscribe to tenders service
For more details on this tender and the tenders below, you can subscribe to our Tender Subscription Service.
By partnering with a global information provider, we can offer a database of opportunities for the energy industry.
An annual subscription gives access to tender notices across the African continent for all energy sectors.
More tender info:
- Uganda: Development of waste-to-energy facilities. Deadline: 02 February, 2016
- Morocco: Tenders are invited for Civil works to construct a tunnel linking and hydroelectric card 125 MW with all civil works. Deadline: 03 June, 2016
- Morocco: Rehabilitation of dams and hydroelectric plants. Deadline: 27 January, 2016