TUESDAY, 17 MAY 2016
Opening Keynote: Global trends, an African hope or dream
Experts from across power generation will compare the political, financial, environmental and the community impact of sources of generation to find strategies that can be best applied across Africa.
Daniel Swanepoel, Managing Director, Daniel John Consulting, SA
Debate: What are the key considerations when developing a baseload mix?
- What is the future outlook of large scale hydro power in Africa?
- Have African utilities considered the use of small nuclear reactors as a source of power?
- Will renewable energy always remain a niche market rather than become a set of mainstream energy supply technologies?
- Zimiti Chodeva, Manager, Accenture, South Africa
- Tom Blees, President, The Science Council for Global Initiatives, USA
- Valérie Levkov, Executive Vice-President Africa & Middle East, EDF,France
- Yokesh Singh, Senior Manager Production Engineering and Integration: Coal, Eskom
- Jonathan Berman, MD, Fieldstone, SA
- Viktor Polikarpov, Vice President Sub-Saharan Africa, ROSATOM State Corporation
GAS TO POWER: AFRICA’S ATTRACTIVE OPPORTUNITY
Moderator: Nicolette Pombo-van Zyl, Editor, ESI Africa, SA
With the potential of 400 gigawatts of power delivered by gas, it has the potential to dominate Sub-Saharan Africa’s energy mix. The session will identify solutions to speed up the implementation of gas to power projects.
Case Study: Natural Gas for Power Generation in Nigeria
Ezekiel Adesina, Senior Business & Strategy Analyst, Nigeria LNG, Nigeria
From Inception to Completion, How can Africa Accelerate Gas to Power Projects?
- What policies should be put in place for countries to benefit from domestic gas reserves and encourage development of regional energy markets?
- Infrastructure: Could thermal power plant relocation be a quick win and solution for African utilities?
John Titus, Director: Energy, Ministry of Mines and Energy, Namibia*
Robert Dickerman, Managing Director and CEO, Enugu Electricity Distribution Company, Nigeria
Mario Venter, Executive Resources and Industry, AECOM, SA
Cynthia Wandia, Managing Director, Astra Innovations, Germany
Chiraag Gokaldas, Principal Consultant, EON Consulting, SA
WEDNESDAY, 18 MAY 2016
THE NEXT 36 MONTHS OF HYDROPOWER: CHALLENGES, TRENDS & UPCOMING PROJECTS
Moderator: Anton-Louis Olivier, CEO, Renewable Energy Holdings, SA
Discover the opportunities for new hydropower projects and how current projects are overcoming the challenges of high cost and feasibility.
Panel discussion: What are the plans to incorporate small hydro into existing infrastructure?
- How can smaller scale hydro be a game changer for industry andcommunity access?
- What are investment opportunities for hydropower plants with a capacity of more /less than 5MW?
Akinwole Omoboriowo II, Chairman and CEO, Genesis Energy, Nigeria
Andrew Njoba, Team Leader, Clean Energy Promotion Program, Kenya Association of Manufacturers, Kenya Association of Manufactures, Kenya
Nishan Rathanlall, Sector Unit Manager Power and Energy, GIBB, SA
Dan Klinck, Executive Chairman, Afritech Energy, Rwanda
Wim Jonker Klunne, Programme Director, Energy and Environment Partnership Southern and East Africa, SA
INNOVATION FOR SMALLER SCALE HYDROPOWER
Moderator: Marco van Dijk, Civil Engineer, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Understand the breakthrough technologies modernising hydropower and how this is influencing the current African market.
Panel discussion: Strategies to optimise hydropower plants by overcoming the barriers of imported substandard technologies
- Assessing the application for low head hydropower vis-à-vis the traditional high head hydro
- What are the opportunities for re-engineering and or retrofitting the existing power plan / hydro turbines?
Jannik Moeller, Head of Unit, Rural Electrification, GIZ, Nigeria
Imo Ekpo, Federal Ministry of Power, Nigeria
Dmitry V. Konstantinov, Head of Investment Projects Department, ROSATOM State Corporation, Russia
Andy Eaton, International Hydro Sales Manager, Gilbert, Gilkes & Gordon, UK
THURSDAY, 19 MAY 2016
SHINING A LIGHT ON UTILITY SCALE SOLAR PV
Moderator: Ayanda Nakedi, Senior General Manager – Renewables Business Unit, Eskom, SA
Make informed business decisions for the application of utility scale solar PV.
Panel discussion: Where are the opportunities for utility scale solar PV projects?
- Where are the opportunities for utility scale solar PV projects?
- Latest innovation in the solar PV field
Chris Ahlfeldt, Founder & Energy Specialist, Blue Horizon Energy Consulting Services, SA
Izael Pereira Da Silva, Director Strathmore Energy Research Centre, Strathmore University, Kenya
James Hunt, Director – Africa, OST Energy, SA
Abderrahim Jamrani, Technical Director, Moroccan Agency for Solar Energy (MASEN), Morocco
Kobus Ackermann, Business Development Director, ET Solutions, Germany
THE CLEAN POWER VISION FOR AFRICA
Moderator: Michael Goth, General Manager, STEAG Energy Services, SA
Debate the renewable energy mix for Africa to understand the future growth markets and implement feasible power plans.
Smarter operations of renewable energy projects
Caroline Faasen, Senior Engineer Renewable Energy, DNV GL, SA
Panel discussion: Where are the next investment opportunities in clean power?
- Solutions to galvanise wind power take-up
- What are the critical market factors needed to drive the growth and success of the waste-to-energy market in Africa?
- Victoria Cuming, Head of Policy – Europe, Middle East & Africa, Bloomberg New Energy Finance, UK
- Caroline Faasen, Senior Engineer Renewable Energy, DNV GL, SA
- Jasper Cloete, Director (CEO), Viking Energy Development Africa & SA Wood Pellets, SA
- Eugene Obiero, Senior Manager, Africa Projects, Renewable Energy Project Finance, CAMCO Clean Energy, Kenya