Notice is hereby given that on 17 May 2017, the National Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) granted Environmental Authorisation (EA) for the proposed used fuel Transient Interim Storage Facility at Koeberg Nuclear Power Station in terms of the National Environmental Management Act 107 of 1998, and the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations, 2014. This authorisation was received by the applicant, Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd, on 31 May 2017.
The granting of the EA is subject to a number of conditions, which, along with the reasons for the decision, are set out in the EA attached as Appendix A. In terms of the National Appeal Regulations, 2014, and the EA, any person wishing to appeal against the decision must submit an appeal to the Appeal Administrator (see below), and forward a copy of the appeal to all registered Interested and Affected Parties (I&APs), any Organ of State with interest in the matter, and the decision-maker within 20 calendar days from the date that I&APs were notified of the decision (i.e. by 21 June 2017).
The appeal must be submitted in the prescribed form to Mr Z Hassam (Director: Appeals and Legal Review):
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- By post: Private Bag x447, Pretoria, 0001; or
- By hand: Environment House, 473 Steve Biko Road, Arcadia, Pretoria
- The applicant’s contact details for submission of copies of the appeal, are as follows:
- By email: LaveloR@eskom.co.za;
- By post: Attention Randall Lavelot, Nuclear Project Management, Koeberg Operating Unit, Private Bag X10, Kernkrag, 7440, SA; or
- By hand: Attention Randall Lavelot, Nuclear Project Management, Koeberg Nuclear Power Station, R27 Off West Coast Rd, Melkbosstrand.
The contact details of registered I&APs can be obtained from SRK on request for submission of copies of the appeal.
Should you require further information, please contact Jessica du Toit of SRK via email email@example.com, or forward correspondence to Postnet Suite #206, Private Bag X18, Rondebosch, 7701. Alternatively, please send a fax to 086 530 7003 or call tel. 021 659 3060.
SRK Consulting (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd
Principal Environmental Consultant