Location – Cape Town, South Africa
Job type – Full-time
Contact name – Jani Els
Salary – Negotiable
Discipline – CleanTech
Reference – PR/005252_1616502929
Do you have experience in a Project Technical Manager position? Do you want to be responsible for all the technical deliverables on PV Projects? Get in touch if you want to expand your career and stand out above the rest of the industry.
During the structuring phase, the Project Technical Manger has 3 key functions:
- Review and approval of technical supply contracts ensuring that the Plant is technically compliant with the PPA, Grid Code and other critical project documents (such as the company’s functional requirements, project programme and permit and licensing conditions etc.).
- Managing and facilitating the detailed design as per the Company’s Solar Operating system.
- Ensuring that the project programme is reasonable and accurately considers the detailed Design Timeline, key equipment procurement and allowance for commissioning, testing and local Grid Connection requirements
- Ensure all technical parameters in the Project Documents (such as the functional requirements) are incorporated in the Final Project Design.
- Understand technical and environmental constraints inherent in the project and ensure this is carried through in the detailed design and project contracts.
- Manage and interface with contractors, utilities and equipment suppliers to establish, negotiate and align all technical aspects / approvals of the project.
- Establish timelines and schedules based on the project schedule and contracts to ensure successful interconnection, commissioning, and grid code compliance.
- Assist Business Development to obtain all outstanding project permits and licenses requiring engineering input
- Plan and manage engineering resources to ensure tasks are completed and delivered on time, especially with regards to detailed design and contract technical inputs.
Support Supply Chain with technical inputs to the following activities:
- Manage the process to complete the technical schedules of the relevant project contracts.
- Prepare formal requests, responses or clarifications towards contractors and consultants.
- Manage the technical scoring and evaluation of all bids, equipment and contractors
- Review (S) – EPC and/or contractor proposals for compliance technically and contractually.
- Specification of the spare parts list to be delivered after Execution is completed.
- Lead and manage the technical due diligence process towards the Lenders / other Technical Advisors.
- Assist the PM to establish and mitigate technical risks through an effective and updated Risk Register.
- Set up Document Control and filing protocols to proactively limit time from COD to TTO.
Support to projects in delivery/execution:
As the project moves into execution, the PTMs role is a continuation and development on the above:
- Provide early warning to the PM on any issues in the project that may influence connection dates or the quality of the final product
- Assist with training of document controllers on site regarding the operating system and project documents
- Assist the SPV representative with clarifications towards lenders and Employer’s Technical Advisors
- Ensure that SSO remains compliant to its contractual obligations set in the Project Documents
- Contribute to drafting the relevant project reports (Bi-weekly, monthly etc.).
- Assist the Quality Department with input into technical queries
- Attend and support during project meetings with contractors and utilities.
- Establish the plant commissioning and utility compliance plans and procedures.
- Plan and manage the hot commissioning phase of the plant in coordination with the Site Commissioning manager and Site Construction Manager.
- Support in project close out phase by preparing and gathering technical documents as needed to achieve TTO on time.
- Follow-up and coordination of engineering discussions with subcontractors and suppliers on all technical matters.
- Manage and assess design change requests to be approved by the Lead Engineer and Project Manager
- Assist supply chain with closing out and clarification of key supply contract schedules.
- Clarify and agree interfaces towards the grid and the grid operator
- Ensure all technical standards are defined prior to the start of construction.
- Visit site on a regular basis to ensure that construction is being implemented as per the design and in line with relevant technical standards and desired quality.
- Plan and manage technical resources (engineering, as-well-as external consultants) throughout the execution stage to ensure resources are available as needed and notified in advance as required.
- Independent and self-dependent working
- Analytical thinking
- Assertiveness and organisational skills
- High energy level and motivation.
- Proactive and initiative-taking
- Good at building relationships and trust, good judgement skills and high integrity
- Good communication and team skills, with ability to work in across functional team
- High social and intercultural competence
- Speak and write English fluently. Other language skills like Spanish, German, French are an advantage
- Excellent report writing skills
- BSC/BEng/BTech in Electrical / Mechanical / Electronic or Electromechanical Engineering
- 7 year of engineering experience, including project management experience
- 5 years renewable energy experience
- An excellent knowledge of MS Office
- Project Engineering experience
- Engineering An excellent knowledge of MS Office
- Based in Cape Town and able to travel to site frequently
- Must have valid drivers license
- Project Management Certificate
- Project Engineering experience
- Exposure to High Voltage Networks and Sub-Stations
- Master’s degree in engineering
- Experience in LTA / OE workstreams
Click here to apply