Thursday 14 May 2015
The evolution of the utility: from Edison to grid modernisation to smart cities
Chairperson: Leslie John Rencontre, Director Electricity, City of Cape Town, South Africa
The role of infrastructure for Africa’s industrialization
Carlos Lopes, Executive Secretary, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Ethiopia
The role of ICT and smart infrastructure in utility modernisation: Insights from Africa
Nirvesh Sooful, CEO, African Ideas, South Africa
Smart cities, the future is here: how the municipalities can improve their services to the citizens
Juan Carlos Rojas Ramos, Director, Indra, South Africa
Closing Panel Discussion: Looking forward: the journey for next-generation utilities in Africa
- Benefit of hindsight: what can Africa learn from mature markets?
- What are the next steps for African Cities?
- How should utilities plan for smart city integration?
Moderator: Enrique Manzanares, Trade Commissioner, Embassy of Spain, Spain
- Carlos Lopes, Executive Secretary, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Ethiopia
- Nirvesh Sooful, CEO, African Ideas, South Africa
- Juan Carlos Rojas Ramos, Director, Indra, South Africa
- Carel Snyman, Senior Manager: Green Transport, South African National Energy Development Institute (SANEDI), South Africa
Closing remarks by the Chairperson & Spintelligent