Are you a natural-born leader with over 8 years of experience efficiently managing a team of project engineers and contractors on utility-scale solar PV sites?
Do you find it easy to juggle contractual reporting tasks, SHEQ compliance duties, and O&M reporting, managing your time effectively using your excellent organisational and prioritisation skills? If the answers to these questions are yes, you could be the perfect candidate fit for this role as a utility-scale solar PV plant Operations Manager.
Whilst you will be working from the company’s head office in Johannesburg, you will be required to travel to the plant site in the Kalahari Desert when needed.
AltGen’s client is looking for a Technical Operations Manager who is able to provide mentorship and guidance to project managers and engineers on-site, using a deep understanding of optimal O&M practices for renewable energy power plants from an engineering perspective as well as your experience and knowledge of business management from a financial standpoint, someone with excellent communication skills and an ability to manage from afar.
You will be confident interacting with plant managers, site engineers and powerful stakeholders, advising them on best practices throughout the operational phase of the project. If this is the role for you, you will be solutions-oriented, able to supervise all report obligations whilst keeping document tracking lists up to date. You will be extremely familiar with legal contractual laws and will be able to oversee permit renewals, approvals and authorisations.
Your primary responsibilities will involve foreseeing and managing risk and formulating mitigating procedures as issues arise. You will be required to manage SHEQ compliance ensuring a zero-incidence rate. Using your financial and legal aptitude, you will verify contract documentation and payment certification as needed, providing intelligent input into drafting new contracts. You will have an analytical and logical nature, able to analyse and report on the O&M performance of the plant, advising on optimal solutions to increase the plants’ performance.
Your report writing and reviewing skills will be strong, as you will be required to review contractor and plant operator reports and compile summary reports to present to stakeholders and board members on a regular basis. Through an analysis of these various reports, you will be responsible for managing and detecting risk as well as overseeing site budgets and conducting cost and economic analyses necessary to inform optimal courses of action for the plant.
This is a highly technical role that requires a combination of financial, contractual and engineering expertise. If this sounds like a role you can undertake, you will be a well-rounded individual, able to multitask and switch focus when needed. Apply now!
A degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering BSc.Eng, MTech Engineering, BA, LLB, BProc or any other relevant field
- 8 – 10 years of work experience in a power generation environment, ideally working with plant operations for utility-scale solar PV plants
- A minimum of 5+ years’ experience handling all contractual obligations on site and ensuring correct compliance is followed and maintained
- Familiar with the South African grid code, transmission network code, distribution network code, and the South African National Standards (SANS)
- Proven experience in planning, supervising and executing BOP maintenance (ensuring operations of the plant are optimised)
- Proven experience with O&M (medium voltage switchgear/circuit breakers/protective relay systems/high voltage transformers and switching)
- Strict adherence to general power plant safety and environmental procedures
- Professional Engineering Registration (Pr.Eng) required
- Must be GCC certified
- Proven ability to use SCADA process control systems
- Your primary responsibilities will involve foreseeing and managing risk and formulating mitigating procedures as issues arise.
- You will be required to manage SHEQ compliance ensuring a zero-incidence rate.
- Using your financial and legal aptitude, you will verify contract documentation and payment certification as needed, providing intelligent input into drafting new contracts.
- You should be analytical by nature and have excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal English skills (Afrikaans fluency is preferred).
- Professional report writing and management skills (able to delegate and manage a team of varied professionals).
- Available to travel to site when needed.
Click here to apply.