HomeNewsNigerian village receives PayGo solar home systems

Nigerian village receives PayGo solar home systems

On Tuesday, Nigeria’s Vice-President, Yemi Osinbajo, inaugurated the PayGo solar home systems in Wuna village, a rural community in Gwagwalada Area Council, Abuja.

A joint press release highlighted that government’s ambitious renewable energy policy is aimed at increasing energy production from renewable energy sources from 13% of total electricity generation in 2015, to 23% in 2025 and 36% in 2030.

Ribbon cutting ceremony: (photo left to right) Chiedui Ugo – Managing Director, Niger Delta Power Holding Company; HE Professor Yemi Osiubajo, SAN (Vice President of Nigeria; Acting President); Simon Bransfield-Garth – CEO Azuri; Hon. Adamu Mustapha Danze – Chairman, Gwagwalada Area Council). Pic credit: Azuri

This includes the goal to increase the percentage contribution of solar energy in the total energy mix.

“Nigeria is committed to improve accessibility to power, especially solar power for the people,” Osinbajo said.

Following this launch, NDPHC through the project is reported to start a phased rollout in northern Nigeria, followed by a nationwide deployment, targeting 70 million Nigerians living in off-grid communities with clean, sustainable and reliable solar home solutions.

Managing director of NDPHC, Chiedu Ugbo said: “Let me state at this point that NDPHC is actively involved in the presidential initiative on rural solar home lighting systems where 20,000 units of solar home systems in under-served rural areas with no access to grid electricity supply is being implemented.”

PayGo solar home systems

The solar home systems are said to have the capacity to power four LED bulbs providing up to 8 hours of lighting, a radio and a USB port with charging cables for mobile phones.

Customers pay the monthly top-up rate via mobile money for 36 months after which time the unit can be unlocked and the customer has full ownership.

It is pertinent to mention that such customers will be provided with options to upgrade to a larger system in what Azuri describes as its energy escalator pathway, the company said.

The company’s CEO Simon Bransfield-Garth commented: “Nigeria’s commitment to increasing its renewable energy mix marks an opportunity for a reliable solar alternative to address the challenges of energy access.”


Homepage image: Clamore Solar

Babalwa Bungane
Babalwa Bungane is the content producer for ESI Africa - Clarion Events Africa. Babalwa has been writing for the publication for over five years. She also contributes to sister publications; Smart Energy International and Power Engineering International. Babalwa is a social media enthusiast.


Comments are closed.