Today Eskom has said that the response to the Request for Information (RFI) it issued regarding the proposed South African Nuclear New Build Programme, has received a good response.
According to the utility, around 27 companies have stated that they intend to provide a response to the RFI, including major nuclear vendors from China (SNPTC), France (EdF), Russia (Rusatom Overseas) and South Korea (KEPCO).
Eskom’s Interim Group Chief Executive, Matshela Koko, stated: “Eskom is looking forward to the information supplied to confirm our understanding of the key issues that impact the timing and affordability of a nuclear programme.”
While the intention to submit a response to Eskom’s Request for Information (RFI) does not commit a company to submit a response to a potential future Request for Proposal (RFP), the quantum of the response to Eskom’s RFI shows the level of competitive interest in the South African Nuclear New Build Programme.
The utility said that the RFI was issued on its website on 20 December 2016 and asked companies that felt they could provide relevant information to confirm by 10:30 on Tuesday, 31 January 2017 that they would be submitting a response to Eskom (for both Eskom and NECSA use) by 10:00 on 28 April 2017.
In October last year, the South African monopoly stressed that it was ready and “well-equipped” to handle new nuclear power operations.
With public concern escalating over the past few months around government’s decision to move forward with its new nuclear build plans, the parastatal claims that having successfully run the continent’s only nuclear power station for over 32 years, it is ready for more.
Nuclear energy currently provides approximately 11% of the world’s electricity and through Koeberg nuclear power station near Cape Town it powers most of the Western Cape and supplies approximately 4.4% of South Africa’s total electricity needs since 1984, the parastatal explained in an earlier statement.