Smart cities. Smart buildings. Smart metering. Automation. Energy management. Green buildings. These are the smart areas where EDS Switchboards puts their expertise to the test in electrical distribution systems for totally integrated power (TIP).
EDS Switchboards meets the demands of the present and the future of power distribution boards, metering and automation for South Africa and Africa. EDS’s products are proudly South African but comply with international standards and certification.
The company promotes efficient energy management systems through partnerships with international companies. These partnerships guarantee that EDS manufactures the latest intelligent electrical distribution systems. The data-driven systems seamlessly link to industrial and building automation systems and lifecycles.
EDS’s partnerships include:
- Schneider Electric: PRISMA partner and PME certified
- Siemens: SIVACON technology partner on S8 low voltage (LV) switchboards
- ATI: ELSTEEL product range
The German giant, Siemens, is the first international company that EDS partnered with. EDS is licensed to manufacture the SIVACON S8 (part of TIP portfolio) power distribution boards and MCCs in South Africa and is the only Siemens SIVACON S8 LV technology partner in Cape Town.
The SIVACON S8 system guarantees a high level of plant and personal safety and, due to its original design, offers a wide range of possible uses. The modular design ensures that the distribution boards can be optimally adapted.
Tebogo Sekgabi, project QA-QC manager at EDS, explains: “Partnering with Siemens on Sivacon S8 benefits organisations. The mining, marine and power generation industries require plants that operate twenty-four hours, seven days a week and, when necessary, the speedy replacement of equipment. A local SIVACON manufacturer guarantees this level of speedy recovery. Our S8 technology partnership has thus far proven to be an excellent solution for the markets and companies such as Tronox, Transnet and OTMS Crude Oil Projects, to mention a few.”
The SIVACON S8 LV switchboards meet the following standards and approvals:
- IEC 61439-1&2: form 1 - 4
- IEC/TR 61641: tested under conditions of arcing due to an internal fault
- Main circuit: up to 690 V (rated frequency 50 Hz)
- Rated current up to 7010 A
- ARC resistance rated up to level 4
- Rated short-time to withstand current up to 150 kA, 1s
- Ingress Protection (IP) 54
- Seismically tested: functionality and stability
- Lloyds Register of Shipping: LR type approval certificate
- Det Norske Veritas: DNV GL type approval certificate
- Shell Conformity: ‘DEP Shell’
The SIVACON S8 LV switchboards are safe, flexible and reliable with intelligent data and process management and Cloud-based systems analysis.
The following are further personal and plant safety features(Source: Siemens. Customised for maximum demands. Sivacon S8 low-voltage power distribution board: safe, flexible, efficient):Roof plate with pressure relief that increases personal safety
- Roof plate with pressure relief that increases personal safety
- Comprehensive certifications such as use on ships and offshore platforms—at sea there are a number of challenges to overcome: high seas, saline atmosphere and high air humidity
- Comprehensive certification for earthquakes—the earthquake version of the DBs are tested during and after earthquakes for functionality and stability
- The patented locking system ensures that the doors stay closed in the event of arcing
- Insulated main busbars
- Safe housing
Johan Human, CEO of EDS, says: “Safety, reliability, quality and efficient energy management systems are not negotiable in the industry. Our partnerships with international companies ensure that EDS complies with and are certified to the latest local and international specifications in the electrical distribution field. This is a benefit to South Africa and Africa. Compliance and certification are of critical importance in the industry. EDS Switchboards is prepared for the challenges and opportunities in smart energy management and distribution of the future.”