HomeIndustry SectorsEnergy EfficiencySANEDI to conduct study assessing electric motor energy consumption

SANEDI to conduct study assessing electric motor energy consumption

The South African National Energy Development Institute (SANEDI) is expanding its Energy Efficiency Standards and Labelling (S&L) Programme to study the energy use of motors available in South Africa, and suggest new Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS).

Dr Theo Covary, a consultant for SANEDI who is leading the electric motor energy study, explains: “Electric motors are everywhere. They are in our laptops, pool and pond pumps, escalators, lifts, mines, paper mills, power tools etc. They are used in factories and industrial settings, and are kept running for hours at a time, every day. Just a 1% reduction in energy usage from motors would make a huge difference to our national energy consumption.”

Currently there is nothing stopping people from buying motors which are power-hungry. Dr Covary says: “While many countries around the world, such as the EU, China, Brazil, US and India have regulated the motors they are allowed to use, there is little stopping them from selling IE0 [industrial energy optimisation] motors (with no energy efficiency classification) to South Africa, effectively dumping old technology and locking users into higher operational costs over the long term. Research has shown that the upfront cost and maintenance of a motor is less than 5%, the other 95% is electricity.”

Have you read?
Study on South Africa’s residential power use exposes EE efforts

SANEDI’s techno-economic study into electric motors started in early June 2021, a cabinet requirement to identify the most appropriate regulatory mechanism and is expected to take six months to complete. This study will identify and establish the existing market size, annual sales volumes and baseline efficiency classes of electric motors sized between 0.75 and 375kW in South Africa. It will undertake an economic analysis and stakeholder consultation to identify the most cost-effective MEPS for electric motors in South Africa, in line with international standards, common trade partners and compatibility with the local industry.

SANEDI inviting stakeholder engagement into electric motor energy research

Dr Covary adds that stakeholder engagement is a key success factor and invites stakeholders to participate in the research and make their voices heard. “Market assessment is vital, and we need the help of industry associations, major distributors and manufacturers, large consumers in industry, as well as academia and government. This will ensure that the proposed MEPS strike a balance between achieving an ambitious decrease in electricity consumption and greenhouse gas emissions whilst ensuring that the MEPS regulations are not detrimental to the businesses currently operating in this field.”

SANEDI’s S&L Programme was created with the support of the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) and National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS), and ultimately aims to inform consumers of the energy efficiency of the products they purchase.

“The programme has been successful in establishing MEPS for many household appliances in South Africa. Considering the ubiquity and long operating periods of motors, this study was deemed a fitting next phase of the programme. Electric motors provide a major opportunity to improve the country’s industrial competitiveness. MEPS for motors were first introduced in the 90’s, and the above-mentioned countries are already on their second and third revisions. We cannot be left behind any longer,” explains Dr Covary.

Have you read?
Achieving the Paris Agreement: The vital role of high-efficiency motors and drives in reducing energy consumption

Nomvuyo Tena
Nomvuyo Tena is a Content Producer at Clarion Events Africa and is as passionate about the energy transition in Africa as she is about music and Beyonce.

TRENDING THIS WEEK

LATEST FEATURES