This opportunity poses itself to a “hybrid” type of professional, an experienced Engineer (9+ years) who has worked their way up in their career across the full project life cycle of PV plants.
An industry leading company in the energy space is looking for someone who has an exceptional ability to manage construction teams yet can lend their technical and operational expertise to the project acquisition team right through to the demobilisation teams. The ideal candidate for this opportunity to join an international solar PV powerhouse will have technical hands-on experience working on PV plants complimented by diesel gensets and energy storage technologies.
This is an opportunity that provides excellent career growth for the right employee, an employee who is highly organised – able to mobilise all logistics as well as the preparation of documentation that ensures a project comes to life!
If you are the perfect candidate for this opportunity you will find yourself spending 30% of your time supporting the acquisition phase. You will be assisting the business development team to prepare sound technical proposals, promoting lease offering solutions, actioning high-level site reports. In addition, you will assist with technical design demands for not only PV plants but battery storage systems as well as technical needs for interconnection to existing assets. Which means, you must know off-grid systems like the back of your hand.
50% of your value to the company’s end goals to deploy GW’s of PV power across Africa will be highlighted during the construction phase. This is where you will play a pivotal role in their success. From managing the procurement and logistics team right through to sourcing staff on-site and ensuring compliance on Lease Agreements.
Your role will be forward-facing, engaging with the relevant stakeholders and leasees to ensure that milestones and contractual (or other) requirements are met and all parties are on board with the progress of your plants and the quality your team has delivered. Your ability to mitigate risks will be one of your key skills, you will be expected to ensure each project runs smoothly and without a hitch or unexpected cost result. Due to the nature of this role and your need to act as an effective manager, you will find yourself timeously writing progress reports based on on-site observations.
With that said, you will find yourself acting as an advisor, making recommendations, and ensuring corrective actions are taken that are within company policy and regulatory parameters. You will be well versed with HSE disciplines, community liaison and quality control and you will ensure these aspects are incorporated into your management duties.
The last 20% of your core duties will involve management aspects pertaining to the O&M teams as well as the final demobilisation phase. You will need to report annually on the plant’s performance and ensure that plant maintenance activities are seen to when and before they happen. When it comes to the demobilisation phase you will play an active role on site ensuring that the team is effectively managed throughout the process and all materials and equipment are readily available and the site is handed back spotless.
If you are looking for an opportunity that will allow you to play a hands-on management role (both on-site and off) as you travel extensively across Africa…then this is the perfect opportunity for you!
Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Must have 9+ years of experience working with off-grid technologies complimenting solar PV projects over 5MW as well as managing large installation teams
- Must have 5+ years’ experience managing subbies
- Must have electrical installation experience for solar PV and energy storage systems – NON-NEGOTIABLE!
- Oversee project activities for the installation team ensuring that schedules are adhered to and construction can commence
- Lend technical support to the design team as well as construction teams
- Assist with onboarding the right talent to the team and upskilling where appropriate
- See to all HSE compliance as well as community liaison and quality control demands
- Manage teams across the entire project life cycle – working closely with the procurement teams
- Must handle all documentation and schedules pertaining to the project sites – ensuring all paperwork is seen to
- Extensive travel across South Africa and the African continent
- Ability to speak additional languages such as German, French and Portuguese is highly advantages
- Applicable software such as AutoCAD, PVSyst etc
Click here to apply.