The world’s leading renewable associations have issued a joint statement setting out policy priorities for a green recovery involving accelerated clean energy deployment.
Under the banner of the International Renewable Energy Alliance (REN Alliance), the five associations representing the bioenergy, geothermal, hydropower, solar and wind power industries say a world powered 100% by renewable energy will only be achieved by greater technological integration.
“Together, the renewable energy technologies are greater than the sum of their parts. A significant increase of investment in renewables will fuel economic growth, create employment and contribute to a climate-safe future,” they say.
In order to achieve the green recovery, the alliance’s six-point joint statement is calling for:
- Accelerated renewables deployment, especially in heating, cooling and transportation, also by connecting all sectors;
- Substantial financial incentives for renewables to create a competitive advantage for end-users and encourage self-supply;
- Additional benefits and services of renewables to be considered when designing market mechanisms, not just the lowest price;
- Broader policy frameworks devoted to a just and inclusive energy transition;
- Development of green skills and renewable jobs offered to communities;
- Mapping and promotion of the health benefits of a green energy-based economy.
About the International Renewable Energy Alliance
The International Renewable Energy Alliance (REN Alliance) brings together five renewable industry organisations to promote the use of renewable energy technologies worldwide: the International Hydropower Association, the International Geothermal Association, the International Solar Energy Society, the World Bioenergy Association, and the World Wind Energy Association.
The goal of the REN Alliance is to foster collaboration among renewables, promoting successful implementation strategies, enhancing business conditions and developing markets.
The alliance is trying to establish this by providing reliable information to inform decision-making nationally and internationally to further the principles and goals set out in the 2004 Bonn Declaration on Renewable Energies.