The African Development Bank (AfDB) invites eligible consultants to indicate their interest in providing services as Renewable Energy Expert to the “Desert-to-Power” Initiative and Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa’s (SEFA) related interventions in the West Africa and Sahel regions.
The Desert to Power (DtP) initiative aims to accelerate economic development in the Sahel region through the deployment of solar technologies at scale. Specifically, DtP proposes to deliver electricity to 160 million people on-grid and 90 million offgrid and to add solar energy generation capacity of up to 10GW through a combination of public and private interventions.
The initiative covers 11 countries (Burkina Faso, Chad, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Sudan). The initial rollout will focus on the G5 Sahel countries (Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger).
It aims to develop and implement an electrification programme based on solar power generation including grid based, minigrid and offgrid access scale up for households, social and economic infrastructure including energy for productive uses.
SEFA is a Special Fund that provides catalytic finance to unlock private sector investments in renewable energy and it is supporting several projects and programmes in its three areas of intervention (green baseload, green minigrids and energy efficiency), and one of the AfDB vehicles to support the DtP Initiative.
Manager of the renewable energy division
Under the supervision of the Manager of the Renewable Energy Division, the consultant will carry out the following activities:
- Lead on the implementation of the on-going SEFA Technical Assistance portfolio in the G5 Sahel and West Africa, both for utility-scale and minigrids;
- Provide support in the identification, appraisal and implementation of new SEFA projects;
- Assist in the identification and appraisal of the renewable energy pipeline, including initial project screening, concept development, technical and financial due diligence, engagement with national authorities and, more generally, relationship management with project stakeholders;
- Support DtP Task Force as required, including roadmap development / implementation, consultation events, review of technical reports, etc.
- All other relevant tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
The AfDB now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (description of experience in similar assignments particularly in the Sahel region as it relates to identifying, structuring and implementing projects in the energy sector).
Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance with the AfDB’s Rules and Procedures for the Use of Consultants under projects financed by the Bank Group, May 2008 Edition, revised on July 2012, available on the Bank Website at http://www.afdb.org.
The Bank is under no obligation to shortlist any consultant who expresses interest. Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours, between 08:30 and 17:30.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in soft to the email address below by Friday, 26th February 2021 at 17h00 hours GMT and mention “Renewable Energy and Power Sector Expert (Desert-toPower), PERN.1.” Attn: Joao Cunha, Division Manager, PERN/SEFA – African Development Bank E-mail: email@example.com with copy to firstname.lastname@example.org