Tender deadline: 19 August 2015, 10:00am (local time)-Closed
In Southern Africa, the Botswana Ministry of Minerals, Energy and Water Resources has issued a request for expression of interest (EOI) from interested bidders to construct, operate, maintain and eventually decommission a scalable solar power plant to meet electricity demands for Jwaneng mines in the North West region and surrounding areas.
According to the ministry, the request will be for the provision of power through satellite solar plants targeting the mines that are being developed in and around the North West region of the country.
Any excess generated solar power will be fed into the nearby villages and settlements.
The ministry said: “A Bankable Feasibility Study (BFS) was completed in 2013 which recommended a 100MW Concentrating Solar Thermal Power plant to be constructed at a location identified in Jwaneng.
“Besides the BFS, the areas in the North West were not covered by the study, yet there are mining activities in the area which requires electricity.
“These new mining developments are at Discovery Mines Limited (DML) near Toteng with estimated demand of 21MW and the proposed Khoemacau Copper mine near DML with estimated demand of 22MW as well as additional demand for villages in North West region and Jwaneng and surrounding areas with an estimated demand of 45MW.”
What to include in the EOI document
The respondent must include the following information in the EOI submission:
- Proof of Incorporation
- Name and Details of entity to provide Parent Company Guarantee
- Name and title of primary contact
- Mailing address
- Contact email
- Contact phone numbers
|IPP License Duration|
Specific Project Development Information
- Indicate experience in similar projects successfully completed in Solar Power Generation including but not limited to power evacuation and system integration. Indicate the plant size(s) of the plant in MW
- Readiness of Data, e.g. relevant studies completed and/or draft
- Plan for conducting Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- If agreements with third parties are applicable please indicate these requirements and future plans to conclude on those
- Expected months to complete construction broken up into development phases
- Provide shareholding and financial structures and value add to the economy
- Provide a programme and timetable indicating expected energy into grid after signature of PPA
Interested parties should advise, amongst others, on the following:
Economic and financial indicators
- Project bankability and profitability indicators
- The most appropriate financing strategy
- The most appropriate implementation strategy for the project
System technical performance indicators
- Basic conceptual design covering efficiency and durability over the project life time
- Potential specific location taking into account connectivity to the grid
- Operation and maintenance programme
- Strategy for decommissioning of the plant
The objective of the EOI is to:
- Establish the potential and strategy for implementation of a scalable solar power plant(s) where applicable
- To establish the economic and financial viability of a scalable solar power plant(s)
- To establish the potential of developers to deliver a scalable solar power plant(s)
The ministry added that a decision on the detail and timing of the Prequalification and RFP will depend to a great extent on the information provided in response to this EOI.
Where to submit your proposal
The EOI document may be collected at the below address between 07:30am-12:45pm and 13:45pm-16:30pm from the 6th July 2015.
Department of Energy
Plot 169, Queens Road
Shri Ram House, 2nd floor
Office No. 8
Any queries relating to the EOI documents may be addressed to:
Mr H.S. Ntsowe
(Tel) (+267) 3640200
The submission deadline is 19 August 2015 at 10:00am. Late submissions will not be accepted.
The interested bidder must submit one original copy of the EOI, four copies of the document and one digital copy in CD format are to be submitted in plain sealed envelope clearly marked:
Request for expression of interest to construct, operate, maintain and decommission at the end of its economic life, a scalable solar power plant to meet electricity demands for Jwaneng, mines in the north west region and surrounding areas, or any other areas in Botswana.
All documentation is to be typed in Times New Roman or Arial, font size 12.
The Ministry will shortlist (pre-qualify) companies after the evaluation of a prequalification tender, whose issuance will depend upon the information received from the EOI process.
Those companies who are interested can obtain further information from the Project Manager on the following details:
Phone: +267 3640200 during office hours [07:30 to 16:30 hours Monday to Friday
- Zimbabwe: Prequalification : Provision of Solar Panels and Accessories. Deadline: 31 July 2015
- Eritrea: Supply and installation of stand-alone solar systems in 73 agricultural facilities. Deadline: 10 August 2015
- Burkina Faso: Supply and installation of pumps and solar panels. Deadline: 20 July 2015
For full details on these tenders and more tender news, see our tender subscription service.
Homepage pic credit: Botswana-reservations