Deadline: April 30, 2021
Location: London or Nairobi (ideally), remote work also possible*
SunFunder is a world-leading debt financier to distributed solar companies and projects in Sub-Saharan Africa. Their team is made up of experienced renewable energy investment professionals that are driven by a desire to scale solar to solve energy poverty and climate change. SunFunder makes debt investments in solar home systems, productive use (including minigrids) and commercial and industrial solar projects.
*There is also flexibility for the candidate to work remotely as an independent consultant as long as you are within GMT or EAT time zone.
The Senior Investment Officer (Sr. IO) will report to the Head of Investments and be responsible for developing and maintaining client relationships, driving transactions, structuring innovative and bankable solutions, and growing our loan portfolio across Africa and Asia. They will also be required to lead arrange and structure syndicated transactions. The candidate will have existing networks in SunFunder’s investment arena and be able to hit the ground running.
● Grow portfolio. You will actively contribute to the growth of the current portfolio by building and developing a strong eligible pipeline of investment opportunities in existing markets and new markets.
● Lead transactions from beginning to end. As a Senior Investment Officer, you will be leading the full investment cycle including origination, due diligence and credit risk assessments of existing and/or potential counter-parties, negotiating and structuring transactions to financial close. This includes developing and managing the client relationship, leading negotiations of transaction terms and documentation, managing internal and external stakeholders and working with Analysts to present to the credit committee. Quick turnaround is prioritised.
● Maintain a healthy portfolio. You will maintain high-quality relationships with customers with regular check-ins for portfolio monitoring purposes and to ensure the company caters to their scaling needs.
● Innovate and expand. In a rapidly moving market and a largely untapped market, the company looks to IOs to develop new solar lending products to meet the customers’ and the sector’s evolving financing needs and facilitate entry into new markets.
● Build the SunFunder brand. You will regularly represent the company at conferences, seminars and other relevant events in the region or worldwide, as required. You will also be responsible for building and maintaining SunFunder’s strategic partnerships with investors, co-lenders, advisors and other industry participants.
● Support strategic initiatives. You will be actively involved in supporting and championing initiatives that accelerate the company’s growth.
● Mentor investment analysts. You will be paired with an investment analyst for every transaction and it’s an important value of SunFunder to help others grow and develop professionally.
● A passion for what we do and a demonstrated hunger to close deals. You will have at least eight years of experience in finance with a proven track record in leading, sourcing, structuring and closing investments in renewable energy sectors. Previous syndication experience required.
● Strong Relationship Skills. You seamlessly interact with a variety of stakeholders at different levels in an organization. Your ability to analyse complex matters and present them clearly make you a trusted partner to work with for people inside and outside the organization. You know how to adjust your message to people from different backgrounds and cultures.
● Technical know-how. You will have strong credit risk assessment, modelling, analytical and presentation skills. You will work closely with the analysts to prepare credit applications to present to the credit committee as well as work closely with the risk team to monitor the portfolio.
● Reliable and accountable. SunFunder is a multi-cultural, distributed team. As such, it is most important that you are someone who over-communicates, is highly organized and results-oriented, is self-motivated and self-disciplined, the internal team and clients can count on you.
● Flexible and innovative. You have a proven track record of making things happen, willing to challenge the way things are done, “get your hands dirty” and perform unglamorous roles from time to time, and ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment.
● Excited about travel. (Vaccine pending) you will travel to the markets where you are sourcing and executing deals (20-35% depending on where you are based) and have lived and worked in the emerging economies where SunFunder is active.
● Collaborative and fun. You enjoy learning from, as well as teaching others. You see feedback as an opportunity for growth and are therefore keen to give and receive it.
Other qualities that are important to SunFunder include possessing a positive attitude, intellectual curiosity and low ego. SunFunder is a small company, and you will be expected to learn on the job, with guidance from leading experts in solar finance (see our team profiles on our website) to allow your skills to continuously be tested and flourish.
SunFunder is a non-hierarchical company and are a meritocracy. The company celebrates and promotes diversity in backgrounds and opinions.
Compensation will be based upon your experience and skills. The company offers generous benefits, a unique work culture that strongly encourages a healthy life-work balance, and an opportunity to work with a fun, passionate and talented team.
Apply for the Senior Investment Officer position
Please send a brief cover letter and a 1-page CV to email@example.com, “Senior Investment Officer” in the subject line. Your cover letter should not summarise your CV, but rather specify why you believe you would be a good fit for the SunFunder team.