On Wednesday, Russia’s Rosatom reaffirmed its commitment to participate in a transparent and competitive nuclear procurement bidding process.
The Russian nuclear agency said this post the recent court ruling where government’s nuclear plan was found to be unlawful and unconstitutional, Eye Witness News (EWN) reported.
Court ruling is no deterrent
Judge, Lee Bozalek, ruled the government’s action unconstitutional and found that five decisions it had taken were illegal. These included the government’s decision to go ahead with the nuclear build and the fact that it had handed over the procurement process to the state utility Eskom. Read more…
The court also ruled that Eskom’s request for information from nuclear vendors, a step taken to prepare the procurement, which ended on 28 April 2017, was invalid, Mail & Guardian added. Read more…
According to EWN, Rosatom released a statement indicating that this will not prevent the firm from bidding for the project, saying it’s confident in its world-class technology, unmatched safety standards and highly competitive solutions.
“We are confident in our world class technology, unmatched safety standards and highly competitive solutions,” a Rosatom official said in a statement.
Engineering News reported that Engineer Eskom’s chief nuclear officer David Nicholls said earlier on Twitter: “I want to confirm that Eskom has terminated the nuclear RFI.”
Featured image: 123rf