Power plant tenders in Q4 2019 saw 291 tenders announced, marking a drop of 28% over the last four-quarter average of 404, according to GlobalData’s power industry tenders database.
The proportion of tenders by category tracked by the research firm in the quarter was as follows:
- Project Implementation: 213 tenders and a 73.2% share
- Repair, Maintenance, Upgrade & Others: 40 tenders and a 13.7% share
- Consulting & Similar Services: 36 tenders and a 12.4% share
- Power Purchase Agreement: two tenders and a 0.7% share
Asia-Pacific leads power plant activity in Q4 2019
Comparing tenders' activity in power plant segment in different regions of the globe, Asia-Pacific held the top position with 209 tenders and a share of 71.8% during Q4 2019, followed by Europe with 36 tenders and a 12.4% share and the Middle East and Africa with 29 tenders and a 10% share.
Solar is leading technology for power plant tenders in Q4 2019
Among the technologies, solar accounted for 216 tenders with a 73.7% share, followed by thermal with 33 tenders and an 11.3% share and hydro with 20 tenders and a 6.8% share.
Power plant tenders in Q4 2019: Top companies by capacity
The top issuers of power plant tenders for the quarter in terms of power capacity involved were:
- Solar Energy Corporation of India (India): 3,000MW from four tenders
- Northern Indiana Public Service (United States): 2,600MW from two tenders
- NTPC (India): 2,514.16MW capacity from nine tenders