The UK Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) has partnered with ICF Consulting to deliver the Green Recovery Challenge Fund under the UK PACT (Partnering for Accelerated Climate Transitions) programme in selected African countries.
To this end, the UK PACT is looking for project ideas targeting to accelerate the clean energy transition by integrating grid and off-grid low-carbon energy solution in Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria.
The UK PACT Green Recovery Challenge Fund is a three-year programme (2018-2022) funded by BEIS.
The programme supports countries eligible for Official Development Assistance (ODA) to implement and increase their ambitions for carbon emission reductions in line with their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and the long-term goal of the 2015 Paris Agreement to limit dangerous climate change.
The second funding round is open for applications, the closing date is 14 December 2020.
Eligibility for the UK PACT Fund
The Fund is looking for innovative ideas that address specific low-carbon challenges, show measurable results, promote social inclusion and inspire future actions to increase climate ambition at scale while supporting countries to rebuild their economies after the COVID-19 outbreak.
Applications are open to international and local non-governmental organisations (NGOs), civil society organisations, research institutes and private sector companies.
Each project has the potential to be awarded up to £500,000 ($660,652) over the course of a 12-month implementation period.
The UK PACT Green Recovery Challenge Fund is looking to support projects in the following areas:
- Strengthening institutional capacity on policy and technology areas at the national, federal, and sub-national levels to accelerate the integration of low-carbon grid, mini grid and off-grid solutions (including productive use of electricity) and remove roadblocks.
- Improving data quality and data sharing to provide a more robust evidence base to inform decision-making.
- Developing timely and cost-effective clean energy transition pathways and energy scenarios.
- Preparing and delivering action plans, including policy and regulation, to integrate and interconnect clean off-grid and grid technologies and enhance electricity access, resilience and reliability.
- Developing grid and off-grid energy management awareness, including energy efficiency.
To find out more about the UK PACT Green Recovery Challenge Fund.