Live broadcast: Wednesday, 15 September 2021 @ 14h00 SAST
Duration: 60 minutes
Wheeling is a scalable solution to creating a stable electricity supply industry within the southern African region.
While wheeling does not necessarily mean that the electrons entering the transmission network at point A will be used at point B, it is a solution to balancing the energy from the generator with the end-user load.
Now that South Africa’s Department of Mineral Resources and Energy will be gazetting the amendment to Schedule 2 of the country’s Electricity Regulation Act that pushes the self-generation threshold up to 100MW, it is timeous to review how wheeling operates and what changes can be anticipated within the Southern African Power Pool (SAPP).
What attendees will learn
- The role of SAPP
- Day ahead market and balancing market impact
- Methodology of cross border tariffs
- Lessons from successful SAPP wheeling deals
- Lessons from an interconnector operator
- Possible SAPP impact on RSA wheeling
- SAPP membership for RSA buyers / IPPs
Join ESI Africa and Enlit Africa as moderator Nicolette Pombo-van Zyl, ESI Africa editor, chats with the guest speakers and addresses your questions to the panel.
– Robert Futter, Executive Director, Cresco Group