On the 9th of January 2019, the World Bank board of executive directors met under the Chairmanship of its Dean, Dr. Merza Hasan, to discuss the selection process for the next President of the World Bank Group.
This follows after the announcement of the current President, Jim Yong Kim, who will be stepping down from his position as of 1st February 2019.
The executive directors have agreed that candidates should be committed to the implementation of Forward Look and the capital package agreement as articulated in the Sustainable Financing for Sustainable Development Paper.
Candidates should meet the following criteria:
- a proven track record of leadership;
- experience of managing large organisations with international exposure, and a familiarity with the public sector;
- the ability to articulate a clear vision of the World Bank Group’s development mission;
- a firm commitment to and appreciation for multilateral cooperation; and,
- effective and diplomatic communication skills, impartiality and objectivity in the performance of the responsibilities of the position.
Deadline for submissions
Nominations shall be submitted from the 7th of February, 9:00am Eastern Standard Time (EST) to 14th March by 9:00am EST, and may be made by executive directors, or by governors through their executive director. Candidates must be nationals of the Bank’s member countries.
Following the close of the nomination period, the executive directors will decide on a shortlist of up to three candidates and publish the names of the shortlisted candidates with their consent.
Formal interviews by the executive directors will be conducted for all shortlisted candidates with the expectation of selecting the new President before the Spring Meetings of 2019.