The government of Rwanda under the Renewable Energy Fund (REF) Project, administered by the Project Implementing Unit (PIU) at the Development Bank of Rwanda (BRD) seeks to recruit a suitable and experienced off-grid technology officer.
The officer is to support the PIU of the REF project with the technical due diligence of mini-grid and off-grid electrification investment.
Additionally, the officer will be tasked to improve the capabilities of developers, entrepreneurs and the sector in general.
Scope of the assignment and tasks
- Conduct technical due diligence of mini-grid and off-grid investment proposals providing input on technical configuration and life cycle costs.
- Supervise off-grid mini grid investment projects during engineering, procurement, construction, commissioning and operation.
- Advise M&E and Safeguards Officers in project relevant technical aspects of mini-grid and off-grid project oversight.
- Monitor secondary market for used equipment; evaluate technology developments to provide analytical support for credit terms and ongoing portfolio valuations.
- Maintain relationship with other donors and development partners engaged in mini-grid and off-grid development.
- Assist in outreach meetings with stakeholders at national and local level, and with developers and businesses to promote off-grid and mini-grid financing opportunities under the REF.
- Assist in preparing requests for off-grid and mini-grid investment proposals for REF financing. Maintain close relationships with relevant technology providers at a national and international level.
- Assess in identifying training needs, prepare TORs and obtain training services for knowledge transfer to BRD staff on off-grid and mini-grid technologies and developments.
- Train BRD staff on technical aspects of appraisal of mini-grid projects and off-grid business plans.
- Provide needs-based training to Rwandan consultants and developers on aspects of project identification, preparation, business planning, and implementation.
- Assist in assessing needs, recruiting and supervising consultants to undertake several other support activities such as revisions to Operations Manual, preparation and/or adoption of technical standards and good practice documents, advice to RURA, in setting mini-grid electricity service standards, issuing mini-grid codes and technical specifications, tariff setting and tariff approval procedures, and revisions to Simplified Mini-grid Regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related subject.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience as an Officer in the off-grid and mini-grid sectors and/or in rural electrification.
- Professional/Chartered Engineer qualification would be advantageous.
- Well integrated with local and international suppliers of off grid technology.
- Off-grid business development and mini-grid project development skills
- Expertise in mini-grid design software such as HOMER and rural electrification planning.
- Capacity to translate technical knowledge into a format understood by non-technical team members, senior management and other stakeholders.
- Experience with stand-alone solar; mini-grids using diesel, mini-hydro, solar, hybrid generation technologies; and/or low-cost electricity distribution.
- Capacity to carry out training needs assessment and in establishing training programs.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required with good communication skills.
Expressions of interest
Interested candidates are invited to address their expression of interest with the following information:
- Candidate information details
- Proven references of similar assignment;
- Relevant experience of the consultant;
- Technical and managerial capability of the consultant;
- Project references of similar assignment;
Candidates are encouraged to download the template from www.brd.rw/procurement/template.docx and fill it for submission.
Expression of interest shall be submitted to the Chief Executive Officer, Development Bank of Rwanda through e-mail not later than 30 April 2018 at 3:00pm Kigali time.
Tel: 00250 78 8306846
Subscribe to tenders service
For more detailed tenders you can subscribe to our Tender Subscription Service.
By partnering with a global information provider, ESI Africa can offer a database of opportunities for the energy industry direct to your inbox.
An annual subscription gives access to tender notices across the African continent for all energy sectors.