“Through several successful projects in various African countries and the Middle East, STEG-IS has built a network of trust and lasting partnerships based on a win-win approach and know-how sharing.”
1) Please can you give us a short overview about STEG-IS as well as your particular interests and assignments in Africa?
I am grateful for this opportunity to present a brief statement about STEG-IS. In fact, STEG-IS is a subsidiary of the Tunisian State-Owned Company of Electricity and Gas (STEG), established in 1962 and which has successfully succeeded in its mission mainly the electrification of the country. In this respect, it should be pointed out that Tunisia is one of the few countries in the African continent where the rural electrification rate reached more than 99%, as against 6% in 1976.
Tunisia electrification program has served as driving force and a locomotive to promote local industries to manufacture and supply electrical equipment and materials by the private sectors. This has had a ripple effect on other economic sectors.
It is also worth mentioning that STEG’s practical experience gained over 50 years, and its long record as an effective, efficient utility responsible for the power generation, transmission, distribution of electricity and natural gas have earned it an international reputation as one of the best developing-country power utilities in the world. Given the above and as part of its strategy aimed at promoting its experience, sharing its know-how with the African and Middle East sister companies, STEG led to the foundation of STEG International Services (STEG-IS) in October 2006.
Since its foundation, STEG-IS has expanded rapidly and developed into a competent, reliable partner and has planned to continue this dynamic growth and further strengthen its position and presence in all energy segments. Thanks to the professional competence, the international reputation of its experts, and to the confidence enjoyed by clients in the quality of its services, STEG-IS is now already widely present in the international energy consulting business.
Moreover, STEG-IS is a successful model for public-private partnership for achieving concrete goals; with the participation in its capital of STEG and its employees, consulting firms, local Banks and Financial Institutions. The whole constitutes a network of coherent and complementary partnership bringing together the expertise of STEG, the experience of consultants in the national and international markets, and donors support.
STEG-IS has the technical organizational and human capacities to implement large and complex projects, either alone or in Consortium with renowned national and international consulting companies. In this respect, STEG-IS offers comprehensive and high standard engineering and consulting services for all stages of a project.
Apart the Middle East, STEG-IS is present in several African countries. The main activities performed include but not limited to: project planning, studies, network development, control and supervision of construction works, Rural Electrification ER projects (EPC) in Tanzania, Senegal, Cameroun, Sierra Leone and Congo.
However, it should noted that the most significant ER project performed by STEG-IS was Rwanda ER PROJECT regarding the electrification of six districts of the Eastern Province of Rwanda for the connection of 55,000 households and the construction of a medium and low-voltage distribution network and a major program of support, training and capacity building of the Rwandan Electricity Company EWSA.
Add to that an electrification project in the Northern of Cameroon coupled with FRF Towers approval by STEG-IS and the electrification of three districts in the TANGA region – Tanzania.
Presently, STEG-IS is also carrying out the rehabilitation and extension of MV/LV networks in Freetown, Sierra Leone and the construction of electrification works of 5 localities of the Sangha department in Gongo.
2) What types of projects are you now undertaking in Africa that interest you the most?
The amount of work involved is enormous. Many projects have been successfully implemented in many African countries. The list below is only indicative and not exhaustive. As a result, STEG-IS has built a strong partnership based on win-win approach, loyalty, fairness, objectivity, mutual respect, as well as know how sharing.
RWANDA: Study, supply and construction of:
– 55 000 connections
– 613 km of MV line
– 705 km of LV line
– 518 MV/ LV substations
TANZANIA: Study, supply and construction of:
– 16 520 connections
– 450 km of MV line
– 458 km of LV line
– 139 MV/ LV substations
SENEGAL: Study, technical assistance and supervision of rural electrification concession
– The project involves building a MV/LV network to electrify 9 700 households and operate the
network for 25 years, renewable
CAMEROUN: Study, supply and construction of:
– 103 km of MV line
– 57 km of LV line
– 27 MV/ LV substations
SIERRA LEONE: Rehabilitation and extension of MV/LV networks in Freetown, Design and supply of materials for:
– 80 km of MV line
– 130 km of LV line
– 88 MV/LV substations
– Providing 10,000 prepayment meters
CONGO: Study, supply and construction of:
– Electrification works of the Institute of the technical and vocational training of Loudima
– Electrification works of 05 localities of the Sangha department
– Electrification works of MABOMBO locality of the Bouenza department
CONGO, CHAD & TOGO:
– Control and supervision of the construction of the 220 kV and 110 kV lines – CONGO
– Supervision & control of the construction of two Diesel/Heavy-Fuel based Diesel Engine Power Plant in Mali and in Chad
– Control & supervision of construction works pertaining to the transmission network 66 Kv and 90 kV in N’Djamena
– Control & supervision of the construction works of SOKODE substation – TOGO
– Control & supervision of construction of HV line and HV/MV substations – Ethiopia
– Supervision of construction works, testing and commissioning
Capacity Building & Technical assistance projects:
BURKINA FAO, DJIBOUTI, CAP VERDE: Training & capacity Building in the area of:
– HV live line working in SONABEL – Burkina Faso
– Generation, Transmission and Distribution of electricity on the Santiago Island – Cape Verde
– Operation on the electricity system – EDD – Djibouti
LEBANON: Technical assistance,
– Construction, maintenance & operation of the distribution network – Lebanon
– Implementation of a tele-statement infrastructure for 500,000 customers – Lebanon
3) What makes STEG-IS competitive in this market?
Rich with its specific experience, STEG-IS has developed an approach adapted to the African countries and based on:
– Sharing of its know-how with sisters companies and development of win-win partnership
– Electrical system adapted to the needs of rural areas
– Use of equipment based on cost efficiency
– Adoption of the distribution system MALT to allow the single phase distribution (this choice has
hastened the completion of electrification projects and reduced delays and costs about 35%).
4) What advice would you give prospective investors about Rwanda?
We encourage investing in Rwanda for the following reasons:
– Political stability and security
– Good governance and transparency
– Organized and structured administration
– High human resources skills
– Clear objectives of the Government in terms of education, health, poverty reduction and improvement of living standards
5) What has surprised you about doing business in Rwanda?
We are pleasantly surprised by:
– Simplified procedures to start business
– Simplified paperwork
– Cultured and discipline of the people of Rwanda
6) What will be your specific message at the event?
– Develop partnerships and south-south cooperation based on win-win approach
– Capitalize and promote the expertise of STEG-IS with sisterly and friendly countries mainly Africans
7) Anything you would like to add?
I would like to thank Rwandan authorities for their cooperation and confidence. Also, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Rwandan people for their kindness, seriousness and their hospitality. Finally, I would like to thank the iPAD Rwanda team for their availability and professionalism.