Exclusive interview with Rick St John, Regional Director of Lucy Switchgear, a regular exhibitor at African Utility Week.
1) What are you most excited about currently in terms of Lucy Switchgear products and solutions?
Our products and solutions are designed to ensure that reconfiguration of electrical networks are completed under permanent fault conditions, efficiently and timeously, so as to ensure minimum interruption time to consumers.
2) What is on the calendar for Lucy Switchgear for 2012?
We will be attending Africa Utility Week to reach potential and existing customers. We also will attend EAPIC. We are affiliate members of the AMEU so do all the regional meeting together with the AGM in September.
3) What opportunities do you see in Africa?
Africa is fast growing but also needs updating of aged switchgear and RMUs. These historical situations and needs give us a chance to automate and ensure all electrical utilities are aware of solutions which will help with planned outages when power shortages occur. A phenomenon that Africa will have to live with for the foreseeable future!
4) What do you think makes Lucy Switchgear competitive in this market?
Offering automated solutions for ring main units as standard. Providing customers with 24/7 technical backup service.
5) What do you think are the biggest challenges to the South African/African energy market?
Electricity energy supply by any means! Ensuring consumers are warned and have controlled load shedding when there are electricity supply shortages.
6) What surprises you about this industry?
Dominance, usually of one licensed supplier of electrical energy per country.
7) Why does Lucy Switchgear keep returning to African Utility Week?
Our business region is in Southern and Eastern Africa and it gives us the opportunity to reach our existing and potential customers with one show. Consequently, potential and existing customers see AUW as the prime show to seek out new technology and solutions to their needs. Since I have exhibited at AUW, each year we have received an order during or soon thereafter.
8) What will be the main message that Lucy Switchgear has for the African Utility Week delegate and visitor?
We have affordable solutions for voltages up to 36 kV.
Lucy Switchgear contact details:
Suite 117 & 118 Fourways Business Centre
Design Quarter, Nicole GroveOffice Park
Tel: +27 11 513 3415
Fax: +27 86 678 3418