PowerAfrica is a go-to event for engineers, technical mangers, decision makers and academics to mingle together, hear the latest technical advances in the field of electrical power, and share their experience.
It is organised by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the largest international professional association with over 400,000 members worldwide.
The conference will be hosted by the Tshwane University of Technology, Preotoria (www.tut.ac.za) and consists of a mix of plenary keynote speeches, tutorials, technical presentations from academia and industry, technical tours, as well as round tables on timely subjects in the field.
The theme of this year’s event is: Affordable and Clean Emerging Energy Solutions for Sustainable Development.
The PowerAfrica conference will be organised around several subjects:
- Infrastructure advances: Automating, auditing, and data analytics
- Energy access frameworks and policies
- Transforming and renewing centralised systems
- Resilient services from energy, water and health
- Innovation in components and systems
- Electrical safety
The fifth event of this kind, after successful meetings in Zambia (2016) and Ghana (2017), PowerAfrica 2018 will take place in Century City, Cape Town, South Africa, June 26-29, 2018.
PowerAfrica conference presentations, activities and plenary speakers include:
- Honorable Jeff Radebe, Minister of Energy, Republic of South Africa is invited for opening of conference.
- Industrial Plenary session on the 26th June and CEO Forum on the 27th from namely ABB, Siemens, Schneider, Lucy Electric, EPRI, Eskom, Conco, City of Cape Town, SANEDI, CSIR, Department of Energy, Transnet, GeoSun on microgrid success story on Robben Island, 4th generation industry revolution on digitalization, and topical and contextual topics around energy poverty alleviation through microgrids and just grids.
- Prof T Marwala, Vice Chancellor of University of Johannesburg, research keynote on artificial intelligence and blockchain in Energy.
- Prof J Milanovic, University of Manchester, on Data analytics for demand management
- Prof J Mutale, University of Manchester, on sustainable community development and renewable energy
- Prof J Mitra, MSU, Energy assurance with renewable generation
- Venayagamoorthy, Clemson University, USA, on the future, intelligent power grid.
- Pillay, Concordia University, Canada, on induction machine standards.
- Ziani-Cherif, Deputy Director, Pan-African Institute of Water and Energy Sciences, on the energy/water nexus.
- Ray Larsen, IEEE Smart Village, on sustainable power and entrepreneurial solutions for off-grid communities.
- Satish Chaparala, Manager, Indian Drugs and Pharmaceutical Ltd. (retired), on electrical safety.
- Roundtables on: Electrical safety; Renewables and flexible loads; Standards; Workforce training.
- Tutorials, Technical sessions on the latest research and field studies in power engineering, Technical tours.
The entire programme is designed to foster collaborative interactions. For more information, including a link for registration, at: ieee-powerafrica.org
The conference is registered for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points with Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA).
ECSA Validation number: IEEE-SA-CPD-1239 to obtain three CPD points for fully registered delegates for three days.