“Stable power supply is critical to West Africa’s economic growth”
Nigeria’s Minister of Power, Hon. Minister Chinedu Nebo and Chairman of the Presidential Power Task Force, Reynolds Dagogo-Jack, are heading up a top level government and industry contingent who will address and participate at the upcoming West African Power Industry Convention (WAPIC) in Lagos from 25-27 November 2013. More than 500 power professionals will attend the 10th annual WAPIC which will address the various challenges in the region’s power industry, including unstable and unreliable electricity supply which is hindering economic growth, as well as the high demands being put on already aged infrastructure, causing frequent black outs.
WAPIC programme director Christa Robijn says: “we are so pleased with the top level input and support this year from the Nigerian government and utility industry as power sector developments will drive the economy forward through partnerships between the public and private sector. Not only will the Minister of Energy, Hon. Minister Chinedu Nebo deliver the keynote address but along other regional ministerial dignitaries in a panel discussion during the opening session. We are offering a 3-track programme that will cover generation, transmission, distribution, metering and large power users. “
She continues: “the Nigerian utility and business sectors are also giving us great support; this includes the official endorsement from the Federal Ministry of Power, NERC, NDPHC, ECG, UKTDi as well as Abuja, Eko and Ikeja distributing companies.
The private sector will furthermore be well represented with global and regional industry giants as Mojec internatonal and MEMMCOL already signed up as platinum sponsors.
High-level panellists include:
- ECG, Ghana: William Hutton Mensah, Managing Director
- ECOWAS RERA, Ghana: Ifey Ikeonu, Council Member
- National Council on Privatisation, Nigeria: Atedo Peterside, Chairman of the Technical Committee
- Nigeria Infrastructure Advisory Facility, Nigeria: Fanan Ujoh, Environmental Impact Advisor
- Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading PLC, Nigeria: Dr Nnaemeka Ewelukwa, General Counsel & Company Secretary
- Presidential Power Task Force, Nigeria: Reynolds Dagogo-Jack, Chairman
- Southern Africa Hub Trade, USA: Alejandro Core, Energy Policy Advisor, Renewable Energy and IPPs Energy Policy
Event dates and location:
Conference days: 26-27 November 2013
Pre-conference workshop: 25 November 2013
Ghana Site visit: 28 November 2013
Location: Eko Hotel, Adetokunbo Amedola Street, Lagos, Nigeria
Event website: www.wapicforum.com
Programme Director: Christa Robijn
Telephone: +27 21 7003564
Mobile: +27 84 605 0756