Date: 2 - 4 October 2018
Venue: Radisson Blu Hotel and Convention Centre, Kigali, Rwanda
The 3rd Africa Smart grid Forum, 2018 is co-organized by the Rwanda Development Board and Rwanda Standards Board in collaboration with the African Electrotechnical Standardization Commission (AFSEC) from 2-4 October 2018.
The Forum is composed of high level policy plenary sessions, followed by parallel technical sessions bringing together International and African technical experts. The Forum includes an exhibition for international and continental companies and organizations providing technology solutions and institutional support to enable smart grid implementation. The participants in this Forum will include industry and utilities leaders, experts, international, continental, and regional institutions, investors and development partners.
AFREC will co-locate the 1st AFREC Seminar on African Energy Efficiency: with the Theme: Smart Grid electricity Interconnection from 1-2 October 2018. Other pre-conference event are also being planned, including an ANSI workshop on power system interoperability standards, an IEC workshop on LVDC technology, a Cigre tutorial on telecommunication network infrastructure for
enabling smart grid.
Objectives of the smart grid forum:
- To deliberate on the potential of Smart Grid technologies as a means to accelerate sustainable access to electricity for the African people.
- To investigate the possibilities for a role of Smart Grid technologies to invigorate businesses and generate employment within the African continent.
- To identify impediments against dissemination of Smart Grid technologies.
- To propose measures to pave the way for Smart Grids as a measure to bridge the electrification in the continent.
Objectives of the 1st AFREC seminar on energy efficiency
The Seminar is intended to sensitize African policy makers and engineers on the opportunities for and benefits of energy efficiency that the technologies related to smart grids can offer. The seminar will be free of charge and open to delegates to the smart grid forum, subject to the availability of places.
Expected Outcomes of the Forum and seminar
Formulation of practical proposals to enhance synergies among national, regional, and continental actors and cooperation with international partners for the effective application of Smart Grids technologies for electrification and economic development in Africa.
The working languages for the forum are English and French.
English- French translation interpretation services will be provided during all sessions.
High level programme
- Monday 1 – Tuesday 2 October: 1st AFREC Seminar on energy efficiency and other preconference
workshops and tutorials
- Tuesday 2 October: meetings of AFSEC technical committees (ATC 8, 13, 57, 82)
- Tuesday 2 October (evening): Official opening of forum and exhibition; welcoming
- Wednesday 3 October AM: Plenary session and exhibition
- Wednesday 3 October PM: parallel technical sessions and exhibition
- Wednesday 3 October Evening: Dinner, by invitation.
- Thursday 4 October AM: Parallel technical sessions and exhibition
- Thursday 4 October PM: closing session in plenary
- Friday 5 October: Optional cultural visits