"Your service has become an essential tool to many people and we being Afrocentric really do appreciate
your work in portraying the positive side of African Energy Business to the rest of the world.
Marc Willard-DuPain, C.O.O. Interdas Inc.
"We find your company's enews site a very useful information avenue for developments in the power sector!
Ayo Moyan, Genesis Electricity Ltd
"This is the best newsletter I receive, ... brief and to the
point, which means you have the opportunity to glance over all the headings and
can dive into more detail by selecting the heading that you are interested
in" Arthur Bosman, GE Intelligent Platforms
just want to compliment ESI on your ESI Africa News bulletin emails. I read very
few marketing orientated emails but I always read at least 75% of
yours." Rob Melaia, Technical Director -- Rotating Machines, LHMarthinusen
11 November 2009 - According to sources, Eskom have confirmed that Maroga is no longer the CEO of the utility. The Bloomberg news agency quoted an Eskom official saying the company was proceeding on the basis that Maroga is no longer the CEO, but no official announcement has been made at the time of going to press.
This follows a week of uncertainty with rumours of Maroga’s resignation being confirmed, then denied and today, confirmed again.
10 November 2009 - Nampower awarded a contract to Alstom Hydro, the joint venture between power generation supplier Alstom and civil engineering group Bouygues, for equipment supply for a new 92 MW turbine-generator unit, at the Ruacana power plant, in Namibia
The contract, which was awarded to Alstom Hydro and its consortium partner Andritz Hydro, was estimated to be worth around $16-million.
9 November 2009 - It was confirmed this morning that the Chairman of the Eskom board, Bobby Godsell, has resigned, a spokesman from ministry of public enterprises said. Details around the resignation of Godsell are sketchy, and it is not sure when the resignation takes effect.
Jacob Maroga was, this morning, back in the office of the Chief Executive Officer of Eskom, in spite of an announcement last week that he had resigned with immediate effect.
9 November 2009 - NamPower announced last week that the Ruacana hydro power plant is now scheduled to install a fourth unit in hopes of ensuring the availability of the country’s electricity supply.
Ruacana Hydro Power Station was constructed in the 1970s with three units installed to generate 240 megawatts. With the increase in electricity demand and the high shortages experienced throughout the SADC region, the power utility has deemed it necessary to undertake this N$750-million project for the installation of a fourth unit. This plant is responsible for generating 63 percent of the country’s capacity, contributing 240 megawatts to the country’s total of 384-megawatt generation capacity.
4 November 2009 - Last Sunday evening Kenya was plunged into darkness for approximately four hours as a blackout affected the country’s power distribution network. The country’s distribution monopoly Kenya Power and Light (KPLC) indicated that the blackout was caused by a transmission fault that shocked the national grid, sensitive to this due to its dependency on fuel-based electricity offered by emergency generators.
3 November 2009 - US$1.4 billion has been approved for Botswana’s Morupale B plant — a coal fired power plant of 600-MW (4x150 MW).
Designed to help the country achieve energy self-sufficiency, the project will, on completion, support economic growth and reduce poverty. Botswana has, until now, relied on the importation of electricity to meet its growing demand (500 MW in 2008 and around 600 MW projected for 2012). In 2008, 80% of the electricity supplied in Botswana consisted of imports from neighbouring countries, notably from South Africa. The remaining 20% was generated by the country's Morupule A, a 25-year-old plant.